Cutch and Hammer Make National League All Star Team
It was boring but deserved as Andrew McCutchen and Joel Hanrahan made the National League All Star team for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Cutch is a National League MVP candidate while Hanrahan, while not as good as last year, is one of the premier relievers in the NL. A couple of thoughts…
- Andrew McCutchen should be a starter. Matt Kemp probably won’t play due to injury and Cutch will move up but c’mon guys. We had to vote him in over at least Melky Cabrera.
- Hanrahan’s inclusion just shows how much the game overvalues saves. Hanrahan is not the best Pirates reliever, he just has the shiny name and saves. He has gotten the job done for the Bucs but it’s true that the closer has become far too overvalued.
- J-Mac and A.J. were long shots to begin with, especially with their pitching schedules. I think that one of them should go if any of the other National League pitchers cannot go seeing that they both have played just as well as anyone else on the roster.
- What’s up with the Cubs have just as many All Stars as the Reds, Pirates and Cards?
- In the end, none of this really matters. It’s an exhibition game that MLB is trying to pump up so badly with the home field thing. Kill interleague somehow and the value will return.
Wonder if they’ll play this in KC…